Zarakas Monastery established before 1236 by the monastic order of the Cistercians from the Hautecombe abbey in Savoy. It is in the Stymphalia valley, near to the ancient city of Stymphalos.
The church was excavated on 1928 by A. Orlandos and again on 1962 by E. Stikas.
It is a fortified monastery complex, an example of the west architecture in Greece. Today there are the impressive ruins of Zarakas monastery with the impressive massive stones.
The inhabitants call the area Kionia because of the many small pylon, which in Greek are called Kiones.